Lets talk about how you can Glow Up in 2021 from the inside out. A lot of the ‘glow up’ dialog around the internet is based around physical transformations from ugly duckling to sexy swan, which can be nice but we’re talking about the kind of transformation that actually matters, the internal kind. Even the most beautiful people with glowing skin can be miserable, if you don’t work on the inside nothing you do on the outside will make you happier. The glow up that counts happens on the inside.
These are 50 little goals and habits you can work on throughout the year that will add up to big results. Big change doesn’t usually happen over night, right? It takes practice, patience, and consistency.
A good way to start your glow up journey is to choose just a few new changes to work on at a time, and once you feel you’ve successfully integrated those into your life you start on new ones. It’s a slow and steady process but a rewarding one. You’ve got this!
1. Have a theme or mantra for the year.
Here’s some ideas:
- My success is inevitable and I am always on the right path.
- Amazing things happen for me every single day.
- There are no limits to what I can achieve.
- Everything I need is already within me.
- I always show up in life as my best self.
2. Say no to things that don’t make you happy.
Obviously sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to do, but when possible decline activities or events that you don’t enjoy. Life is too short to spend time doing things you hate. Set boundaries.
3. Go to bed early and wake up early.
4. Wash your sheets once a week.
Crawling into bed with freshly washed sheets is one of the best feelings! Make time to wash them frequently.
5. Shop less, appreciate what you already have more.
I love new clothes and home decor as much as anyone, but it’s important to appreciate what you have now instead of always looking for the next dopamine hit that comes from getting a package in the mail. Shopping less helps your bank account and the environment, and you don’t have to worry as much about making space for you new purchases.
6. Look at the stars once in a while.
Whenever I can I look at the stars and think about all the amazing things that must be out there. The fact that each of our cells are made from star dust is incredible.
7. Tell yourself ‘I am worthy of my dreams’ every single day.
8. Celebrate your small accomplishments.
When it looks like everyone on Instagram having a glow up and being a #bossbabe and doing all sorts of amazing things it’s easy to feel like we all have to be super productive everyday. The reality is that our small wins are just as important as big wins and should be celebrated too.
9. Meditate every day.
Meditation is so good for both your mental and physical health. I love the Calm app and Youtube for free meditations. I also love putting on some rain sounds and just sitting in stillness for a while.
10. Let go of toxic people.
We all have at least one toxic person in our lives that is always complaining, criticizing, or taking without giving anything back. Cut them off or drastically reduce the amount of time you spend around them. Leave them in the past because they don’t belong in your 2020 life glow up.
11. Replace one bad habit with a good habit each month.
12. Clean your messes right away instead of letting them pile up.
If it takes less than 2 minutes to clean, do it immediately. Letting small messes pile up turns them into bigger messes that take far longer to clean up (and more mental energy) than if you tackled them individually.
13. Be the positive energy you want to see in the world.
Do you ever get tired of other people complaining and always finding reasons to be unhappy? The best thing we can do it set an example by being positive and hope others will follow our lead. Glow up the world!
14. Apologize when you’re wrong.
It you know you’re in the wrong it’s your responsibility to make it right. The other person will appreciate it and be able to move on more easily.
15. Deep clean your home every season.
Doing seasonal deep cleans of your home helps prevent piles of stuff from collecting for years until so much clutter is built up you belong on an episode of Horders. Donate or sell what you no longer use.
16. Only keep items in your home that make you happy or are regularly used.
Keeping your home clutter free is so much easier when you don’t hold on to things that you don’t love or use. Be very intentional about what you buy and what you keep in your home.
17. Have a daily gratitude practice.
Glow up your life with a daily gratitude practice. Taking time to appreciate all the good things in your life does so much to improve your mood and happiness.
18. Drink a glass of water every morning.
I don’t need to tell you that water is good for you. Drinking a glass in the morning helps get you off on the right foot.
19. Take an art or cooking class.
20. Stretch or do yoga before bed.
We carry our stress in our bodies and stretching is a great way to release it and will help you fall asleep more easily at night.
21. Be accepting of people who are different from you.
We’re all so wonderfully different from each other, but at the end of the day we’re all human and we want to be happy. Be nice to people, value them for who they are instead of needing them to be like you in order to see them as a person.
22. Clean out your closet twice a year.
23. Have a notebook or notes app to write down ideas before you forget them.
I use Keep and Notion on my laptop and phone all the time.
24. Take daily walks.
25. Say ‘thank you’ when something challenges you instead of getting frustrated.
A challenge is an opportunity to learn something new that you can use in future situations. Every challenge gives you a new tool for your life toolbox.
26. Make your bedroom a relaxing haven.
Your bedroom should be someplace that makes you calm and happy to be there. Clear out the clutter, make your bed every morning, put away the laundry, vacuum the floor often, dust off any flat surfaces, etc.
27. Chop veggies ahead of time so they are easy to cook and eat.
I don’t know about you but I find it much easier to prepare healthy meals when half the prep work is already done.
28. Be there for your friends when they need you.
Be there for your friends when they’re going through a hard time, don’t ignore them because you don’t know what to do or you can’t be bothered. Ask how you can help them.
29. Replace judgement with compassion and empathy.
Whether it’s with yourself or other people, practice compassion instead of judgement. Most of the time we’re all doing the best we can with the tools life has given us.
30. Check in with your mental state during the day.
Redirect negative thought spirals by choosing to repeat positive thoughts & affirmations or take positive actions.
31. Change your limiting beliefs.
The most important things to glow up is your MIND! All the actions you take in your life are heavily influenced by your beliefs about yourself. Limiting beliefs can hold you back from so much in life, if you believe you’ll fail then you will. On the other hand, if you believe you’ll succeed you’ll keep trying until you do.
Learning to change your limiting beliefs can be difficult, this free worksheet can help get you started.
32. Give out complements often.
Most of us like receiving complements, give them away once in a while. You might make someone’s day.
33. Read at least one book every month.
Reading or listening to audio books is a great way to expand your knowledge for a mental glow up or be entertained.
34. Try new healthy recipes.
35. Chase your dreams.
No one will deliver your dreams to you on a silver platter, you have to take action and for after them. Figure out what’s holding you back and change it.
36. Be your own cheerleader.
We don’t always have someone else to cheer us on, so learn to be your own best friend. Believe in and encourage yourself everyday.
37. Schedule regular self care time.
38. Forgive yourself for not being perfect and making mistakes.
We all make mistakes, look for the lessons you can learn from failures, don’t beat yourself up for them. It’s part of the human experience.
39. Plan an exciting vacation.
Give yourself something to look forward to! If you need to, open a new savings account that is exclusively for your vacation fund. Get an estimate for the cost and divide that by the months between now and the time you plan to take your vacation then put that much away each month.
40. Listen to your body’s cues.
We only get one body, it’s important to take care of it. What is your body telling you? Do you need more sleep? More exercise? Are you eating too much or not enough?
41. Ask for help when you need it.
Sometimes we feel like we have to figure it all out ourselves, but it’s ok to ask for help when we need it.
42. Do something outside your comfort zone, take chances.
Leaving your comfort zone helps you to learn and grow. What are some small actions you can take that will help you expand as a person?
43. Be around positive and inspiring people.
Be around or follow people who are uplifting and living the kind of life you want. Learn from them. Don’t take advice from people talk the talk but don’t walk the walk.
44. Create a inspirational morning routine .
45. Make monthly goals and review them often.
46. Put yourself first.
47. Learn a new skill or hobby.
If there is something you always wanted to learn how to do then look for ways to start learning. Youtube is my favorite place to learn things for free.
48. Be patient with people.
We’re all humans and prone to making mistakes. Be patient with people, especially essential workers who frankly don’t get paid enough for what they do for literally every member of society.
49. Honor your word, don’t make promises you can’t keep.
50. Give everything you do 100%, even if it’s not something you love doing.